- CHRISTMAS IN AUSTRIA -

Salzburg Part 2

LINKS to other pages in the 'Christmas in Austria' site and to the Travelling Days series:

1 : Welcome to Austria
2 : Schloss Hotel Rosenegg
3 : Fieberbrunn
4 : Salzburg
5 : Innsbruck
6 : Kitzbühel
7 : Rattenburg
8 : Austrian Countryside etc.

HOME PAGE : CHRISTMAS IN BRITAIN, FRANCE AND AUSTRIA

HOME PAGE : LIST-O-LINKS INDEX
Salzburg20a.jpg - 100556 Bytes

In the years 1772 to 1803, under Archbishop Hieronymus von Colloredo, Salzburg was a centre of late Illuminism. In 1803, the archbishopric was secularized and handed over to Ferdinand III of Tuscany, former Grand Duke of Tuscany, and, two years later it was annexed to Austria together with Berchtesgaden. In 1810 it was returned to Bavaria, but after the Congress of Vienna (1816) it was again restored to Austria. In 1850 it became an independent territory of the Austrian crown.In 1921, in an unofficial poll, 99% of citizens voted for annexation to Germany.

On March 13, 1938, during the Anschluss, German troops occupied Salzburg; political opponents and Jewish citizens were subsequently arrested, and the synagogue was destroyed. Several POW camps for prisoners from the Soviet Union and other nations were organized in the area.

During World War II Allied bombing destroyed 7,600 houses and killed 550 inhabitants. Although the town's bridges and the dome of the cathedral were demolished, much of its Baroque architecture remained intact. As a result, it is one of the few remaining examples of a town of its style. American troops entered Salzburg on May 5, 1945.




Wall decoration at the Concert Hall in Salzburg (left)

Salzburg7.jpg - 85068 Bytes


The house, now a cafe, in which Constantia Mozart is reputed to have lived after her husband's death (left and below)


Salzburg7aa.jpg - 65408 Bytes

Salzburg23.jpg - 88907 Bytes


One of the three universities in Salzburg (left)



In the city of Salzburg several DP Camps were established following World War II. Among these were Riedenburg, Camp Herzl (Franz-Josefs-Kaserne), Camp Mülln, Bet Bialik, Bet Trumpeldor, and New Palestine. Salzburg was the centre of the American-occupied area in Austria.

As of 2006, Salzburg's Jewish community consists of little more than 100 people. The synagogue at Lasserstrasse 8 is still the religious center.

On January 27, 2006, the 250th anniversary of the birth of Wolfgang Mozart, all 35 churches of Salzburg rang their bells a little after 8PM (local time) to celebrate the occasion.

Salzburg21.jpg - 99993 Bytes






In the foreground, the Residenz and Benediktinerstiftskirche St Peter with the Hohensalzburg in the background (right)

Salzburg31.jpg - 94753 Bytes




The Festung Hohensalzburg, the city's fortress, was built in 1077 and expanded during the following centuries.

SalzburgCath6.jpg - 95323 Bytes




The Kollegienkirche(right and below)

SalzburgCath4.jpg - 97702 Bytes

SalzburgCath15.jpg - 111556 Bytes
buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 5586 Bytes